Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Update

Ok so power and internet has been flucuating over the past couple of days and it just came back on (yippie!!) so I will try and give you a you a quick run-down on what me and the other interns have been busy with.
I just got back from my 5 day trip to Kabwe where I got to see my family's sponsor child, Annette. She was so happy to see me and called me her sister and my parents "mom" and "dad". It was so touching to get to talk to her, especially since she was sick with malaria they day that I went to visit her. She had stomach pains and sores on her body, but she was still willing to stand up and take a picture with me. She loved unwrapping the present that my parents bought for her, especially the pen. :-) Altogether, me and my other intern Katie saw 34 children over the course of 4 days. It was a lot of fun to get to know our Zambian coordinators and to learn a bit about the Zambian culture as well. For instance, Zambian hospitality is very important. We went into one woman's house and she was so honored by our visit, that she cooked us lunch! It was a LOT of food too, and everytime the Zambians saw that my plate was empty, they would put another huge mound of food on my plate, and it was disrespectful not to eat it! We also had to walk for an hour and and half to get to where we were staying one night! That was more walking than I ever remember doing haha! So we got back to Lusaka safely, and this week we are planning and preparing for the first Camp Hope of the summer in Chongwe. The Teen Mania group arrives on Friday, and Gary Schnieder (the founder of Every Orphan's Hope) arrives with his family on Thursday. So it's going to be very exciting this upcoming weekend and week. I will try to upload photos as the internet allows, so please be patient!
May God bless you and keep you safe!
~Jessie

2 comments:

  1. So glad you found Annette! I wish Icould visit her too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am walking every day to try to get ready for those hour-and-a-half walks! Whew! Too much for your old auntie!

    ReplyDelete

Followers